Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ramble On

I had another lovely weekend, boys and girls!

Thursday night I was determined to be the good student and stay home and do work (ie watching films for one of my classes, that's homework right?), but unfortunately got sidetracked to an open bar at Le Bull pub. The good times with old friends was had, but as I remarked to one of them, it very much had the atmosphere of the pub crawls of Europe long past. I even got to talk to an Australian (yet without the same results, haha). Very reminiscent.

Friday night Alastair came to town (he was auditioning for McGill). We got THE BEST Indian food from Thali, and did, in fact, stay in for once. It was so lovely to spend some time with him catching up, and the sleep I caught up with too was a welcome change from my usual pace of things.

I was good and productive all weekend whilst Al was off playing trumpet about the place, getting all my editing done for the undergraduate history journal. There's some serious talent out there at McGill, I can tell you. It also just rererererereconfirmed my love for history. I read on a tonne of topics, some new and some old, and it really does just floor you how much interesting stuff is out there to be discovered. And I only edited about a tenth (if that) of all the papers submitted! What larks. Maybe I should actually do that history thing here that I proposed back in the day. Hmm, maybe after I finish my two honours papers that I've yet really to start. . . .

On Sunday Al and I went out for lunch at Theatre on St. Catherine, a charming diner/coffeeshop just around the corner from me. It was a little pricey for lunch fare, but the food really was delicious and the ambiance wonderful. I wish I had taken pictures! That evening, after seeing the illustrious guest off at the train station, my favourite Montreal relation came over for an evening of tea, cookies, and more editing into the wee hours.

A little more studious, but still the sort of weekend young me would have wanted for older me. This weekend though, I'm off to New York! Lilly and I are heading down to visit our friend Emilie who's going to Julliard. I know, right? I'll walk around campus pretending I go there. Although the locals may notice that I'm only looking up at all the big buildings (I can't wait!) and see me for the fraud I am. At least I'm a really honest tourist!

In all honesty though, I'm SO excited. It's been ages since I've gone on a trip (I don't think Chicoutimi counts), I think Amsterdam must have been my last one! Ahh, so long ago. . . . But yes! As they say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Have a good weekend too, you guys!

Your friend Lina

No comments:

Post a Comment