Saturday, June 18, 2011

In Transit

The weekend came early for me, boys and girls. My bestest lady from my exchange, Ariana, was passing through Montreal on her way to her fabulous internship in Brooklyn this summer, and so I got her! My boss gave me the time off so we could hang out. It was the best!

Ariana (in her favourite pose) outside the CCA

Obviously, you all know how much I love to travel. And that even when you can't travel, the best thing to do is to treat wherever you are like you are a tourist. This is why I love love love having friends come to visit, cause that's exactly what you get to do!

Ariana arrived in the evening on Wednesday, so after an afternoon of cleaning up the place, I went to go meet her at the bus station. We then went on a mad dash to grab groceries and booze, resulting in a three-store trek. And two of those stores weren't even reasonable (24-hr dep and Jean Couteau anyone?). However, the fruits of our labour were wondrous. We had a mean v. reminiscent of Bristol dinner nights: shrimp and veg pasta with a few bottles of cider. Back in the day we (Ariana and myself, but also our two other best gals Clara and Adrianna) would always phone each other up, figure out who had what ingredients and make a feast before going out on the town. Next day we would get together for tea-time (again, compiling everyone's disparate ingredients) and piece together the night before (compiling everyone's disparate memories this time). Though of course it's never the same, I love reenacting the traditions of my favourite times with some of my favourite people.

The next day we woke at the crack of eleven, luxuriated about the place with mushroom scrambled eggs and coffee, and by one were eventually able to hoik ourselves over to the Canadian Centre for Architecture to see the splendiferous exhibits they've got on the summer. The main one is 'Architecture in Uniform,' about architecture during the second world war. They cover construction projects like building new factories, hangars, bunkers, as well as the change in technologies such as camouflage, plastics, and glass. I love the way the exhibit ends as well, with a focus on post-war construction in North America. Throughout there is also tonnes of propaganda posters (of course my fave), and NFB films. They have my favourite one too, so of course I'm smitten with the exhibit. This was my second time going to see it, but as I am adamant that everyone I know check it out - and since it's right across the street from me - I'm sure I'll go many many more times.

Our Local Lunch - Quebecois brie, strawbs, baguette, and cider plus an Ontarian gal

We then came back to mine for lunch and then headed up to Parc Lafontaine to meet up with more friends - Lilly, Erin, and her sister Hannah. Erin had just come back from her exchange in the Netherlands, so it was not only awesome to see her, but also to get to reminisce about what were undoubtedly shared experiences. When I was in Bristol Lilly had come to visit, so we all could share about our travelling experiences. That combined with Ariana off on a new adventure of her own really made me start to crave again. . . . I even dreamt about flying and visiting Halifax last night! Maybe I should make that my next sojourn. . .

Nice Bum Where Ya Frum: A Study in Saunderses and Wilsons

For dinner we walked down to Lilly's to take full advantage of her wonderful little backyard. She's currently growing cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, tonnes of herbs, and tomatoes - so our veggie-burgers were super tricked-out with all her fabulous home-grown and organic produce. We made some seriously delicious (and a little deadly) Sangria and, true-to-form, laughed and talked all night.

White wine, rosé cider, 7up, white cranberry juice, frozen fruit, and sliced lemon and lime

There was even a little 'You Don't Know Jack' on the Wii thrown in at the end, which not only brought back fond memories of my childhood, but also satiated my thirst for trivia. Hmm, maybe it was the copious amounts of trivia my mother foisted upon us as kids that whetted my appetite. . . if you allow to play a little armchair Freudian psychologist. Honestly though, who doesn't love learning new, interesting things day in and out? Probably most people, but I am not counted among them.

The next day actually met us bright and early to whisk Ariana off to the train station. I still had the day off work, so I luxuriated about the place until a certain fellow showed up on my doorstep. We whiled away the evening talking and Tremblaying about the balcony, and yet I still made it to bed at an unhip and reasonable hour.

And now that that wonderful weekend is over, I'm ready for my next!

Get out and enjoy the city, sun, and fun boys and girls!

Your friend Lina

Beating the heat with the best way to keep hair back and Ariana's awesome Sevillan fan

No comments:

Post a Comment